Warp Wood (Reversible)


Level: 2   Sphere: Plant [Alteration]
Range: 10 yds./level   Components: V, S
Duration: Permanent   Casting Time: 5
Area of Effect: Special   Saving Throw: Special

When this spell is cast, the priest causes a volume of wood to bend and warp, permanently destroying its straightness, form, and strength. The range of a warp wood spell is 10 yards for each level of experience of the caster. It affects approximately a 15-inch shaft of wood of up to 1-inch diameter per level of the caster. Thus, at 1st level, a caster might be able to warp a hand axe handle or four crossbow bolts; at 5th level, he could warp the shaft of a typical spear. Note that boards or planks can also be affected, causing a door to be sprung or a boat or ship to leak. Warped missile weapons are useless; warped melee weapons suffer a -4 penalty to their attack rolls.

Enchanted wood is affected only if the spellcaster is of higher level than the caster of the prior enchantment. The spellcaster has a 20% cumulative chance of success per level of difference (20% if one level higher, 40% if two levels higher, etc.). Thus, a door magically held or wizard locked by a 5th-level wizard is 40% likely to be affected by a warp wood spell cast by a 7th-level priest. Wooden magical items are considered enchanted at 12th level (or better). Extremely powerful items, such as artifacts, are unaffected by this spell.

The reversed spell, straighten wood, straightens bent or crooked wood, or reverses the effects of a warp wood spell, subject to the same restrictions.


Last modified: May 3rd, 2000